Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Wednesday, May 29, 2013, Gary Cee

0:19:19

What's the theme? "Two-ball?" There are six two-part answers, all with "in." Not exactly my favorite thing. The whole thing seemed a little on the easy side for a Wednesday, and the fill was erratic. There was some nice stuff like METAPHOR (28A: Sand in an hourglass, for time), NINEIRON (49A: Club providing lots of loft), and ISURRENDER (11D: "Uncle!") - but only for the answers, not so much for the clues. I also like seeing CHOWS in the grid.

We had "Rub on" for RUBIN (31D: Apply, as lotion), and got no help from 45A: South American monkey (TITI), but Frannie suggested that as a possible change after we got the "Incorrect cells" message.

I don't know... it was erratic. It wasn't horrible or anything, but I didn't love it.

- Horace

2 comments:

  1. 36:14
    Fairly easy for a Wednesday, I'll agree, but a few things stumped me for a while. NINEIRON was one, SAWYER (surprisingly) was another: I was thinking of more obscure Twain characters, having read a very large percentage of his output. I thought that 70A Doesn't merely cut STYLES was a good clue/answer, and I had to think for a little bit about 47A Meat grade below "choice" SELECT. All-in-all, fairly easy.

    SJY hasn't finished the Monday puzzle yet, but I don't know that she's even started in earnest. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you could try what we often do - you make one pass across and down (or, on Monday, maybe just across) and then hand it over. Sometimes it's more fun to work on a puzzle when there's something to grab onto.

    ReplyDelete