Saturday, August 3, 2013

Saturday, August 3, 2013, Brad Wilber and Doug Peterson


We worked on this one all morning, and I'm not sure if the long solve is due to our being distracted by a  porch full of family members, or if it really was this tough. Either way, it was quite a satisfying puzzle. Lots of old-fashioned seeming stuff today. HABERDASHER (4A: Person who might suit you well?) was beautiful, HISMASTERSVOICE (12D: 1899 painting used to promote gramaphones) was a gimme, but it did little to help on the East, surprisingly. And on the other side, it was Frannie who finally got TOAFARETHEWELL (3D: Perfectly). Wow. That's not an expression you hear very often. GOETH (40A: "Pride ____ before destruction": Proverbs) qualifies as "old-timey" too. And while we're at it, WAXTABLET (30A: Ancient scribe's work surface) is pretty old. I originally wanted "parchment" in there, which fit, but it was older still than that!

But it wasn't all ancient history. We've got TIVOS (Show stoppers?) and ONLINEFORUM (54A: Avatar setting).

Some beautifully tricky clues. GASLOG (40D: Ersatz blazer) was Frannie again. Great, great clue. I got 50A: Inventor's undoing? (LIEDETECTOR), which was another good one. Another one I got right away was GOLDENSPIKE (56A: Image on Utah's state quarter), but that didn't help as much as I had hoped, either.

Anyway, this was a very satisfying Saturday. Very clean grid, too. I've been 16A: Transported! At least until tomorrow.

- Horace

1 comment:

  1. DNF
    I got GOETH and most of the NW, but not too much else. The name of that painting was not a gimme for me. I could go on and on about what I didn't get, but won't since I have so many more puzzles on which I need to comment....