Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Tuesday, November 19, 2013, David J. Kahn

0:22:50

Who doesn't like ABELINCOLN (3D: Prez who delivered a famous address on Nov. 19, 1863) and his GETTYSBURG (31D: Where 3-Down's address was delivered) Address? Well, aside from "The Patriot & Union" in Harrisburg, I mean… but now even they have retracted their own "silly remarks," and at last we all have that one thing to agree on.

Can we all also agree that this was a decent Tuesday puzzle? Nothing to be hallowed, perhaps… and the world will little note, nor long remember the fill, but even the circles today are altogether fitting and proper.

But, in a larger sense, I cannot review - I cannot denigrate - I can not worship this puzzle. It is for the commenters, rather, to be dedicated to the unfinished review having been thus far so nobly advanced. It is for you, dear readers, to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before you, that this Crossword14 blog, under Blogger, shall have a new birth of freedom - and that a system of crossword puzzle criticism of the people, by the people, and for the people, shall not perish from the interwebs.

Horace Fawley
November 19, 2013

9 comments:

  1. 12 mins.
    Well, yes. Of course I figured out the circles in about two minutes of starting the puzzle. My problem was writing in HOmer instead of HONUS for 2D, but once that was fixed, there were no problems. I thought it interesting that 47A Site of an occasional outbreak in Sicily (ETNA) was in just as the volcano is again erupting after around two decades, if memory serves. The circled words were very nice in that only two of them were actual words in the answers to the clues (SCOREPAD and MIDYEARS). The others weren't. Anyway, a good Tuesday, and fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 6:51. Took me longer than it should have to figure out the circles because I incorrectly wrote SFx for SFO, and xURS was a problem. Once I got SCORE and AND, I corrected myself and the rest was off to the races. PLUTO and STYX were a nice pairing, and the big DIPPER added to the astronomic minitheme. There was also MAST, TAR, SAILORS, and YAWS for a seagoing air. I also enjoyed TINEAR. Not bad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I had quite a bit of trouble with 11-Down. I wish they'd stop with the obscure proper names.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, speaking of funny, did you all see this?
    http://www.uproxx.com/videos/2013/11/snl-speech-critic-jebediah-atkinson/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dang, that's good. Love the bit about Mary Todd Lincoln.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, that's Frannie's favorite part, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Or maybe her's was "mountain-top fish on a hot day…"

    ReplyDelete