Monday, December 30, 2013

Monday, December 30, 2013, David Steinberg

0:12:51

Greetings fellow word lovers, it's Frannie, PANTSUITED and watching PUNTRETURNS by men filled with PENTUPANGER against the Man, while getting my fill of PONTLEVEQUE and PINTMEASUREs. Happy holidays indeed.

Not much in my wheelhouse, save the above. :) Shall I OPE my TRUNK of ignorance? I hope I do not ABASH myself, but I have heard of none of the following: 6D. Classic toothpaste brand (IPANA); 67A. Card game played without twos through sixes (SKAT); 32D. Comedian Philips (EMO); 56D. Classic record label (ATCO). 19D. Generic collie name (SHEP). ET59, were you aware of this dog naming convention?

After PANTSUITED, my favorite clue was 23A. Good name for a garage mechanic? (OTTO).HA! On a personal note, I have always liked the word BRIO (10D. Verve).

Overall, pretty clean, with only a few exceptions. My least favorite being 56A. Trac II successor (ATRA). Is all the world expected to be familiar with the finer points of men's shaving equipment, I ask you, MESSRS? The only other one I want to complain about is 3D. Refrain syllables (NANANA). Do not like.


I'll leave you, gentle readers, with this thought: you know you're behind the technology curve when Google Calendar is used as an example of a WEBAPP and you have only ever used it via the World Wide Web. I should catch up sometime. Is there a Web site for that?

~Frannie

2 comments:

  1. 9:43
    Nice to hear from Frannie, as always. IPANA is a common crossword answer, at least in the Telegram, and as far as ATRA goes, if I have to slog through French, the world can learn of men's shaving equipment. The only phrase with which I wasn't familiar was PONTLEVEQUE, but I was easily able to fill it in with the crosses. I enjoyed the due of ESAU and NOAH as well as the mention of OZMA (41A L. Frank Baum princess). Agree on NANANA. Very bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5:35. Quickly recognized the AEIOU and the long answers fell. I recall EMO Phillips; he was a comic with a very strange childlike voice. Not terribly funny. I'm hoping that Steinberg and Shortz were recognizing Tom Lehrer's excellent work for The Electric Company by putting SAM and SAME right next to each other (c.f. "Silent E").

    ReplyDelete