Monday, October 8, 2018

Monday, October 8, 2018, Jacob Stulberg

4:22 (FWOE)

Once again, I've BEENE ERIN by going too quickly. I had TAK____ at 65A: Letting others occupy the spotlight, and put an E in next. Only at the end when I found I'd made an error, did I see that an I was necessary.

In any case, today's puzzle posits that an AIRPORT would be the site where you might find the ends of the theme answers. I get BATTERYTERMINAL and GOLDENGATE. Both of these things are clearly inside an airport. But then we get CANNERYROW and TAKINGABACKSEAT. I love the answers, but the theme misfires here, if you ask me.

I didn't ask you, I hear you cry!

Only you did, you see, because you're reading my review. Hah! Got you.

So in my opinion, the last two are things you'd find in an airplane, or on your ticket, but neither really are found in an airport. It's a shame, because otherwise this is a fine puzzle.

I may be no fan of LIMPBIZKIT (either the name or the music), but it's a great entry in the puzzle, with that crazy ZK in the middle. I am also no fan of a WINECOOLER. Just drink the wine, fer cryin out loud. But it's nice long answer.

I laughed at 53A: Admission of perjury (ILIED). Yup, that'd do it. Seems à propos nowadays, only I don't see anybody getting tried for it. What, you lied? Well, ILLINI. Doesn't make any sense.

And... scene.

- Colum

2 comments:

  1. Well GOOLDENGATE got me pensive about which is more iconic, the Golden Gate bridge or the San Fransisco–Oakland Bay Bridge. I'm partial to the latter but I'm digressing.

    As for airplane vs airport, yeah, I'll agree that row and seat are a bit awkward, but it isn't too much of a stretch to say that airport includes the tarmac and vehicles parked thereon, so shrug, I could buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 4:51
    From this Easterner's point of view, there is no contest - it's the GOLDENGATE.

    On the AIRPORT/airplane front, I initially agreed with Colum, but I get your reasoning, Jim.

    I'm pretty sure I had a mistake somewhere today, but I can't remember where it was...

    ReplyDelete