Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Tuesday, August 20, 2019, Evan Kalish

3:55

Well, I'm not one to take a golf, as a rule, but here we go. Today's theme has phrases whose first word can be reinterpreted as a golf term. More precisely, a GOLFBALL could rest in or on each of them. I like that they progress naturally from the start of a hole through to the finish. I hope it was par four or better!

Actually, now that I think about it, it wasn't the prettiest hole ever, going into the rough first, then into a bunker before landing on the green and into the cup. I like the pair of history theme answers, with ROUGHRIDER and BUNKERHILL, always a favorite for us Bostonians. The clue for 42A: Leafy course (GREENSALAD) had me scratching my head for a while until I realized it was referring to a dinner course.

I'm impressed by the smoothness of the fill, given the six theme answers. Mr. Kalish manages to get some very nice long downs, especially through the middle. ONTHEDL, GRILLE, and GLACIER are very nice. I'm always partial to Ms. NATALIE Portman. I also liked the pair of symmetrically placed abbreviation answers in STPADDY and MTADAMS.

Nothing much ISEE that is not to my taste. I'm not sure I'd use the word WEIRDER rather than "more weird," but I'm sure that's a personal taste thing. And I've given up on the whole E- thing as in EFILE. It's here to stay whether I like it or not.

Nice puzzle!

- Colum

3 comments:

  1. The ePuzzle is rather nice, I'd have to agree. For the eClue "at ___" I did start with "at ease" which sort of fits but once I got REST from eCrosses I would say that is better. I do wonder whether a younger eSolver would find ELROY obscure. Or is that eShow in perpetual eReruns?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5:25
    Faster than yesterday, which seems to be becoming a trend. I, also, don't take a golf...well, at least for the past thirty-five years or so, but I did enjoy the puzzle. SPRITZ is unusual fill, as is AVICII. I've been on a GLACIER or three now (that's enough for me, as it's somewhat dangerous), but not on a SNOCAT or with a CUPOFCOCOA, which would have made it better. I'm partial to MOONS, as people know, and would like to one day visit NAPOLI, which is the origin of my Nanna's family. I agree on WEIRDER (it's almost like "curiouser"). Enjoyable Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3:40
    I was faster than yesterday, too, by a couple seconds.

    For the record, I think I would say WEIRDER rather than "more weird."

    And this is the second time I've ever heard of the late AVICII. The first time was at a trivia contest. Luckily, one or more of my teammates had heard of him.

    Golf schmolf.

    ReplyDelete