Monday, October 21, 2019

Monday, October 21, 2019, Joe Deeney

3:54

As the World Series approaches (Go Nats!), today's puzzle has a sandlot feel. The revealer tells us what's going on at 36A: Bases loaded ... or a hint to the contents of 17-, 26-, 44- and 56-Across (THREEON). It turns out that the four theme answers have the letters ON repeated three times within them.

I've never heard the phrase KNOWONESONIONS, but I definitely have to use it on a regular basis from now on. I suppose the folks across the pond would be familiar with the LONDONMARATHON - round these parts we're partial to the Boston version (and to a lesser degree, the one that wends through all five boroughs of New York City). But the other two answers are very strong, especially BLONDEONBLONDE (although do you lose points for the word "on" being used? I say nay).

There's a bit of extra sportese sprinkled through the grid, including ESPN, HANGSTEN, ONENIL, and TURKEYTROT, if you will. You definitely would get TANLINES if you're out surfing, also...

I'll note my dislike of abbreviated answers being clued as parts of abbreviations. Today's example comes at 20A: The "E" of E.S.L.: Abbr. (ENG). It's so tortured. But that's the only answer I minded, so that's a good ratio. I also liked the grid layout, which flowed well despite having four very long theme answers and a revealer.

Good Monday.

- Colum

2 comments:

  1. 6:57
    Definitely no points off for BLONDEONBLONDE, or for the puzzle in general. I never heard the phrase KNOWSONESONIONS, and needed all of the crosses for it. I've taken part in a TURKEYTROT, but not yet a GOGODANCER, SECONDHONEYMOON or the LONDONMARATHON. Lots of proper names (NOAH, DUNST, ERICA, PAUL, IKEA, POKEMON, SOHO, NERUDA, LYLE, KENS, URSA, LILY, NYE (please don't write in: I know the last two weren't clued as names!)), but it didn't detract too much from the solve. POSEUR is a nice word, and good pairing of NEWDADS and SONS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 4:07

    Speaking of "across the pond" (and POSEUR), the expression "occupe-toi de tes oignons" is a pretty common way of saying "mind your own beeswax" in French, but I will echo the others and say I've never heard it over here. I'll also echo the appreciation for this one. I thought it was quite a nice Monday.

    ReplyDelete