Saturday, October 3, 2026

Saturday, October 3, 2026, Kameron Austin Collins

We had a lovely night last night celebrating our upcoming 30th wedding anniversary, at Sid Gold's Request Room, a live piano karaoke bar. We were joined by our daughters and Cece's boyfriend, and everybody sang and had a great time! Hope and I got everybody singing along to "Happy Together." Good times!

So things started a little slowly this morning. But I can't blame that for how long it took me to solve Mr. Collins' latest masterpiece. This is a brilliant Saturday NYT Crossword, showing his classic mix of clever clues, innovative answers, and a wealth of reference to Black cultural and historical touchpoints.

1A: Five-note jingle for "The Gift That Grows" (CHCHCHCHIA) is a perfect example. I had to work my way around the puzzle to complete this section, and even after I recognized the pattern, I was still uncertain what I was looking at. The item referenced in the clue is the classic Chia Pet, but the collection of eight consonants in a row is crazy looking in the grid. This sort of answer allows for other fun words like HALCYON and CRIKEY. I also love IRENEPAPAS next to AESOP, a Greek corner.


13D: Something you may be willing to hold? (ESTATESALE) is a loopy clue, riffing on inheritance. I was amused by 18A: To: Abbr. (ATTN), because having the abbreviation be longer than the reference clue word is silly. 

In the Black American experience area, we get a number of answers, such as the SAVOY Ballroom in Harlem, Maya Angelou's "Phenomenal WOMAN," ERMA Franklin, Aretha's sister, UPPERVOLTA (now Burkina Faso in West Africa), and the fact that DIANFOSSEY is buried in Rwanda.

Welp, that's my week done. I think Horace is subbing for Philbo this week, but you'll find out tomorrow!

- Colum

2 comments:

  1. Happy anniversary! In two hours, a cab arrives to whisk my wife+me to the airport, whence we fly to Italy for a week - to celebrate our *35*th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary to you both! :)

    ReplyDelete