Sunday, October 4, 2026

Sunday, October 4, 2026, Katherine Bale

10-4

I like to learn something new from a crossword, and today I learned that October fourth is TRUCKERDAY. And why should that be? Because of the famous sign off on a CB radio - "10-4 Good Buddy," of course. Ahh... the Seventies. Good times. 

To commemorate this momentous day, Ms. Bale has created a puzzle using only ten and four-letter answers. It's a remarkable achieveMENT, and it has made for a very pleasing grid. So symmetrical! And believe it or not, it's remarkably clean. So let's get into it.

The clue for the first ten-letter answer is, appropriately, "10-4" (UNDERSTOOD), and it sits symmetrically opposite the revealer. The other Acrosses in that top section are all good: CREAMPUFFS (Profiteroles, by another name), SUITTOATEE (Fit perfectly), and REDUCEDFAT. INDISPOSED (Busy with something else) is solid, TOETHELINE is good. Sure, ABUDHABIAN (Resident of a Mideast capital) is a little unexpected, but I'll allow it. 

Elsewhere, ADAPTORDIE (Maxim about surviving in a rapidly changing world) reminds me of a different approach, "Let go or be dragged." Hah! 

OLDERPIPES (Drawback to a brownstone) is entirely too soon. I believe Colum referenced a certain bathroom renovation, and let's just say older pipes were just one of the problems encountered. I would CUSS but this is a family blog.

TRUCKERDAY itself may be little known and little celebrated, but if this review can do anything to promote and praise this puzzle, then I will be happy.

10-7 Y'all.

- Horace 

1 comment:

  1. Also, DIFFERENCE! I liked how many ways 10-4 was worked in.

    ReplyDelete