Thursday, October 1, 2026

Thursday, October 1, 2026, Jill Singer

Rabbit, rabbit!

Happy October all. And yes, I've managed to do it - solve the puzzle the night before and have the review ready to go first thing. I'm so proud of myself.

Well, you know we all enjoy a good rebus puzzle here at HAFDTNYTCPFCAAPTF (that's getting a little unwieldy even in acronym form). I particularly like it when the squares are unpredictable, adding a little flair to the solving process. Today I figured out only one of the three squares prior to being forced by crosses to get it.

Our revealer comes at 55A: Obstacles ... or a hint to three squares in this puzzle (STUMBLINGBLOCKS). And indeed, in three squares we have a synonym for stumbling! Thus PLEDGEO[FALL]EGIANCE, PAY[SLIP]SERVICE, and MAGNETICS[TRIP]E. I like the first two better than the last one, because the hidden word crosses multiple words from the original phrase. But they're all excellent entries, and you wouldn't get the first one in a standard 15 x 15 grid without the rebus!


Some great clues here on our tricksy Thursday, as well. 16A: Features of gathering clouds? (AEIOU) is outstanding. 38A: It's just a state of mind, to some (AGE) is pretty good advice for most of us, I'm sure. I even get one of my all-time favorite composers mentioned at 41D: French composer who refused the Legion of Honour in 1920 (RAVEL). Apparently he declined all state honors from the French government.

A fun Thursday, if a touch too easy.

- Colum

No comments:

Post a Comment