Thursday, August 6, 2026

Thursday, August 6, 2026, Dena R. Verkuil and John Kugelman

What a fun theme today! The revealer comes at 60A: Chock-full ... like three squares (and foods) in this puzzle (JAMPACKED). There are three rebus squares for the letters JAM, which in the across answers simply are part of the phrases. In the crossing down answers however, the JAM just becomes a filling for the food items. Thus 11D: Temptation for Homer Simpson (DOUG[JAM]HNUT). 

Two points why this is such a good theme. First, the rebus square is in the center of each food item, just where the filling ought to be. Second, in the across answers, the JAM is in no way related to its meaning in the down answers, its just those letters in the correct order. For example, 48A: Pillow fight setting (PA[JAM]APARTY). Nicely done!

AIMEE Lou Wood

I'm a little split in my mind about 36D: "OK, that makes sense" (AHIGOTCHA). I love how it looks in the grid. On reviewing the puzzle after the solve, I had to remind myself how to parse it. On the other hand, I have a feeling that the clue should somehow indicate the alternate spelling for "got you." I'm not sure how to accomplish that, to be fair. But I recall when solving thinking it was going to be AHIseenow, or something like that.

8D: Short blue person? (DEM) is hilarious. So much better than using "abbr." or such like. I also enjoyed 59D: Nickname that drops "hard" (RIC). Just an odd clue.

- Colum

No comments:

Post a Comment