Sunday, August 6, 2023

Sunday, August 6, 2023, Lisa Senzel and Jeff Chen

WHAT'S HANGING?

I write this review while sitting a DROPLEAFTABLE that we got on Freecycle, but it didn't really help me very much! Given the title and the dash clues at the end of several Across answers, I figured it would be another one where the answers continue as they fall into the Down space. But no! This time the answers to the italicized clues start by coming up a Down answer, following along an Across, and then drop down the other side. I'm not going to try to depict it graphically, but I'm assuming you did the puzzle, and that you get the idea.

DAHLIA

There's sort of a drop-leaf table in black squares in the middle. Or, at least something that, with some imagination, can be reminiscent of one. Or a table lamp. Or one of those hair-dryers in salons that you sit under. Enough? Ok.

"Aww!"-inspiring" was a cute clue for ADORABLE. And "Work on something you like?" was a clever way to get to ODE. Heh. Were you fooled, as I was, by "Tend to the sauce, say"? I dropped "tope" in, but they wanted the more innocent STIR. And for "Unpopular bill" I put in Tax, but no, it's the rarely seen TWO.

Speaking of tricky - "One in a black suit" (SPADE) was very good. And "You just broke my toe, SIS" (biology pun) is a real groaner. Wow.

Finally, the symmetrically paired SOCRATES (Who said "I know nothing except the fact of my own ignorance" and REALISTS are good together. 

I don't know. I didn't love it. Too many non-answers in the Downs. It's a clever thing, but it's not beautiful. See you tomorrow!

- Horace

No comments:

Post a Comment