Sunday, May 12, 2024

Sunday, May 12 2024, Avery Gee Katz

Back in the blogging saddle again, after three weeks of excellent blogging by Colum, Horace and the inimitable Frances.. I found this Sunday puzzle a real beast, with its seeming paucity of black squares, tricky cluing and relatively impenetrable theme.  It would have helped if I'd read the theme hint up front - "Pixar Box Set" - but no, that's not how I roll.  It did eventually become evident what was going on - single squares scattered around the grid, containing rebus-style words; not just words but titles of Pixar movies.  Or so I trust to be true; it also didn't help that I didn't recognize a few of them.  

Quite a feat of construction!  It's extra material in the grid, allowing for longer clue answers in *both* directions.  The initial confusion was immense.  In the NW corner, I had HU as the start of "Certain streaming library", which of course had to be HULU-something, but it wouldn't fit, and it took some time to recognize the hidden word LUCA in HULUCATALOG, which crossed with the Baja California resort CABOSANLUCAS.  Neat!  ("Luca" is a Pixar movie, though?  Never heard of it.)  

And so it went.  I count seven of these rebuses.  The fact that they vary in length (from "UP" to "WALLE" and "BRAVE") just adds spice to it.  

Notable clues in the connective tissue:  "Where to find signs with circles, squares and diamonds" is a clever way to clue SKIAREACOBOL is indeed "used in government and banking", even though it's ancient and nobody actually programs in that language any more.  I noted a doubly-used device in "RARIN' to go" and "SINGIN' in the rain"... For "Primate that exists only on the world's fifth-largest island", I automatically entered ORANG - but no, it's LEMUR.  Speaks to my weak geographical skills..

FERRULE is a great word - the "Metal ring that holds a pencil's eraser".  It's also what holds on the tip of a snooker cue.

I didn't realize there were actual named characters in the WHERESWALDO books.  "Odlaw, Wizard Whitebeard and Woof"?  O-kaay.  Anyway, when I was scanning the grid to count the rebuses, I thought it was an appropriate clue to have included. 

I'll leave you with that.  Too many nice clues to enumerate here.  Do you agree?  Also quite a bit chewier than the average Sunday puzzle, I thought.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend - and happy Mother's Day to all you mamas out there!

-phil

No comments:

Post a Comment