Sunday, May 26, 2024

Sunday, May 26, 2024, John Kugelman

ROUGHLY SPEAKING

I didn't know that Lady Gaga took her name from the Queen song RADIOGAGA. Interesting. And it makes me wonder how that even started... "Oooh, I like this song. Maybe I'll change my name ..." And speaking of entertainers, who knew Charlie Chaplin once did CLOGDANCING?

Neil PEART

Anywayyyy... the amusing theme today takes normal, innocuous phrases or things and reworks them into defining insulting quote clues. Therefore, "My dog could translate an ancient Mesopotamian tablet faster than you" is called an ARCHAEOLOGICALDIG. And "Tu as le Q.I. d'une huître" is a FRENCHROAST. Très drôle, n'est-ce pas?

In the fill, BIONICARM (High-tech prosthetic) and "Sound of rejection on a 1970s variety show" (GONG) were each a nice BLASTFROMTHEPAST. I don't like thinking about PIETINS being disposable. Shouldn't the clue at least say "recyclable?" Hmph.

Favorite horizontal line - PORTEND SIRE SCOURGE.

OK. It's another lovely day on this holiday weekend. Nobody wants to read a review that goes on too long. Let's all get out there and enjoy it!

- Horace

No comments:

Post a Comment