YAY! It's a Katie Hoody puzzle! She's got the kind of record any wannabe constructor would dream of - she's done ten NYTX puzzles, one Thursday and nine Saturdays.
It's all about the cluing. Fine examples today include "Let on a court, say" (CALL) (a decision on a tennis court - this one took me forever!), "It's made of diamonds" (ARGYLE), "Coach's lack, often" (ELBOWROOM) (so, so good), and my favorite of the day "Second person seen in 'Hamlet'" (THOU). I put that in and for a moment I thought, "I don't remember anyone named THOU." Sigh. Not a person, "you."
Speaking of misdirection, for "Fashionable spots?" I was thinking of a night club or a swanky restaurant, but no, it's POLKADOTS. Ha! And "Predigital recording devices" had me thinking of abaci and stone tablets, but it wasn't that far back, no, it was just PENS. And how about "One might check a box for it" (MAIL)? I just did that very thing yesterday, but did it come to me without crosses? No. No it didn't. I did, however, put HOSE (They might be thrown out if they run) in right away, and it's been at least a few years since I wore any. :)It's always a pleasure seeing Ms. Hoody's byline, and this one didn't disappoint. I hope you enjoyed it too.
- Horace

No comments:
Post a Comment