Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Wednesday, July 29, 2026, Emily Biegas and Sala Wanetick

If, as the Wikipedia suggests, VENIVIDIVICI, or I came, I saw, I conquered, is generally used to indicate a quick and decisive victory then it is apt in more ways than one for today's puzzle. For me,  today's solve was a case of "read the clue, enter the answer" for all but two clues: 31D: "Chips with a 'Blue Heat' flavor" (TAKIS) and 38D. "___ Wilson, four-time W.N.B.A. M.V.P." (AJA), which didn't matter because they were filled in by the Acrosses. More amazing and unusual for me was that I entered only one wrong letter in the entire grid. I don't know if that's ever happened to me before. Of course, I wish it had been no wrong letters, but I'm happy with that. The error came at 58D. "Get on (with)." I thought jIBE, but, as you, dear readers, already know, the answer was VIBE, which became super obvious when I looked a second later at the revealer at 58A: "Classic quotation that might be said by 20-, 34- and 41-Across" (VENIVIDIVICI). Irony? Anyhoo, the theme answers were a triumvirate of persons who might each have spoken one third of the famous phrase: The PARTYCRASHER, the one who came (VENI), NOSTRADAMUS, the one who saw (VIDI), and KENJENNINGS, the one who conquered (VICI) - winning 74 days straight (!) on Jeopardy! I like that the theme answers and revealer are associative, rather than the more common strictly literal tactic (e.g. GRAYSCALE on Monday) - which I also enjoy, but this makes a nice change. :)

23A: LYON (Lugdunum)

Elsewhere in the empire, I enjoyed two self-referential QMCs "Head of Kronos?" (KAPPA) and "Name inside a libretto?" (BRETT). I also liked the C/APs "It's unlikely to happen again" (FLUKE) and  "Corp. shake-up?" for REORG. ASSET, with the clue "It's of use" reminded me of the bit in The Princess Bride when Westley is recovering from being almost dead and is vexed when the others fail to mention the Holocaust cloak among their assets. :) Fill-wise, I like PLOTPOINT, RIPENED, and EGGEDON. Less popular with this solver are any references to MITES, and my personal pet peeve, the answer AGO for "In the past."

Horace and I were in Rome just a few weeks ago and were surrounded at every turn by t-shirts, tote bags, and keychains boasting Caesar's famous phrase. We bought ourselves a fridge magnet.

~Frannie.

No comments:

Post a Comment