Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Wednesday, July 29, 2020, Amanda Chung and Karl Ni

0:10:06

Cute theme today that takes the idea of a STRONGPASSWORD and transforms it into an ordinary phrase in standard text. So TWOPERCENTMILK is to be imagined as 2%Milk, say, and ONEMICHELINSTAR as 1Michelin*. And speaking of 1Michelin*, we had a lovely dinner at LaButte a few years ago, and I can recommend it if you happen to find yourself out in the wilds of Brittany.

MOOSE

In non-thematic material we have the exciting DAREDEVIL (Adventure seeker) and the interesting SCHLEPPED (Lugged). I learned the latter word while I was working as an assistant for a photographer who worked with film and a 4x5 camera. I think that's all the explaining I need to do on that.

I slowed myself down by dropping in "legoS" instead of ATOMS (Small building blocks) and "dealS" instead of PACTS (Things finished with handshakes), but I already had a cross or two for EPEE (Something waved in the Olympics," so although I was tempted to enter "flag," I held off.

Is it duplication to have both "iphone" and IBANKER in the same puzzle? And really? IBANKER? Is that a thing? And is CONG a common abbreviation for "congress?" I'm sure I don't know.

But those quibbles aside, I appreciate the oddness of this theme. What more can one ask for on a Wednesday?

- Horace

2 comments:

  1. 4:57
    A very odd Wednesday, which is right in line with what one expects. Come to think of it, if you always expect a peculiar puzzle, and it is peculiar, is it really that peculiar? I don't like IBANKER, but I guess I can put up with EBOOK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 9:46
    Like Horace, I entered legoS instead of ATOMS at first, but it didn't slow me down too much. IBANKER is fine with me, as is EBOOK, but I tend to not be too TESTY about such things. I haven't had a POTPIE in a long time, and hope to never use a PITON again as I'm not a DAREDEVIL by nature. Interesting theme, but not EPIC. I enjoyed the clue for BOCCE; it had me flummoxed for a bit. ADIEU.

    ReplyDelete