Monday, December 26, 2022

Monday, December 26, 2022, Kurt Weller

Today's theme answers are common expressions that can all be read as parts of CLOCKWORK: MAKEAFACE, SWITCHGEARS, CHANGEHANDS. Although the puzzle contains only these three elements, there is probably more to it than that. :)

While I felt like I was making good time through the puzzle, I didn't even get close to the 5 minute mark today, clocking in at 6:12. A couple of items that chewed clock were "House of mirrors at a carnival, for one" - the answer was MAZE, but I started with 'ride' - "Like old-fashioned railroad crossing signs" (XSHAPED) - I wasn't expecting that initial X - and "Venom neutralizer, e.g." (ANTITOXIN) - I had to wait for the X in OXEN to point me in the right direction - but the one that almost cleaned my clock was remembering how to spell MNEMONIC. Heh. 

62D: RENO

Two nice groupings were the COE College in Cedar Rapids, Iowa answer just above "Campus quarters" (DORM), and TRIPE at one o'clock and GRIPE at seven in the grid. I also enjoyed "Put a patch on, say" (MEND) and "97.5% of a penny" (ZINC). Fill-wise I liked BOOM, PITH, and SCRUM
 
Two C/APs that didn't tick any boxes for me today were Super-ULTRA, and AWOLS as a plural. 

OK, time's up. Gotta punch in. :)

~Frannie.

4 comments:

  1. I was slowed down by floe in place of BERG and took a lot of crosses to know what combats snakebite other than antivenom or antidote. Slightly tough for a Monday for me too but in a good kind of way, like when I get the answer it clicks into place and makes sense. 6:56

    Totally agree about ZINC, I enjoyed that one too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny that FLOE showed up the next day. The clicking into place of the right answer is very satisfying. :)

      Delete
  2. Frannie beat my time by seven seconds! Definitely slow for a Monday. Nothing really ELEVATES the grid, per se, except maybe for the always-welcome ROMA appearance. I guess I always like seeing the plural OXEN, although this one was clued a little too easy for my taste. I also didn't love CANE as a "Bit of Christmas candy." When will we see that clued as a punishment?

    ReplyDelete