Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Wednesday, December 7, 2022, Karen Steinberg

Today's theme features words in other languages that are also words in English, but with different meanings - false friends, as I've heard them called. I knew GYMNASIUM and CONCURRENCE in both languages, and I was able to get MULTIPLEX and SEMESTER from the clues to the English word, but I needed the Downs to get OLDTIMER ("Vintage car, in German ... or veteran, in English"). And, while we're on the subject of words in other languages, CARACAS has an exotic ring to it -  SAYSME - and who doesn't like a SAMOSA? Mmmm, samosa... 

There were a number of fun C/APs, NAMELY "Stories that can get pretty hot" (ATTICS), "Place for some bills" (WALLET), and the nicely vivid "Overheat, as a circuit" (FRY).

42D: GINGER

I didn't know it immediately, but recognized and could relate to 3D once I did get the answer: "Flying a commercial airline, often" (ORDEAL). We've all been there. 

Interesting information about the famous Nike SWOOSH. Fill-wise, I liked SCOFFS, SKOSH, PREEN, and SERGE.

~Frannie.

1 comment:

  1. Since I'm in the business, the clue for the Nike SWOOSH logo made me sit up. The story is fascinating. So is the puzzle -- I had no idea about these words!

    ReplyDelete