Saturday, December 3, 2022

Saturday, December 3, 2022, Kate Hawkins

OK, so I get that NOTAKEBACKS ("Too late to change your mind now!") is correct, but doesn't "no takesies backsies" sound more natural to you? :)

STAMENS

Four tens and four elevens in the grid today. The best C/AP of the bunch is probably "Guilt trip?" (APOLOGYTOUR). Hah. And PIPECLEANER (One getting bent out of shape at preschool?) wasn't bad either. I think I had the Ps before I had much else, so I was trying to make "paper"-something work for a bit.

"Compact" was tricky for TREATY, and it took me a while to get DAM (Block), too. And since there was some confusion about blinds in poker earlier in the week, I'll say that the ANTE system is one way to seed the pot before the deal, but the other is the blind system, wherein the eldest hand and the player to her left, which is to say the first two players to get cards, are the only two to put money into the pot. The first is usually the "big blind" and it's usually a larger amount than a normal ante. The second is the "little blind," and that player usually puts in half of the big blind amount. These two players are essentially "betting blind" before seeing their cards, and it puts a little more pressure on them to stay in the hand. And since the deal goes around, everyone eventually puts in the same amount. I've never actually played in a game using this method, but I think it would be interesting to try. 

The acronym ASMR was new to me, although I was aware of the topic, and the fact that there are many online resources catering to those wanting to stimulate such a sensation. It stands for "Autonomous sensory meridian response." 

Ah, the many forms of JOLLITY that we humans delight in. Me, I think I can get a brain-tingly feeling from a particularly good crossword puzzle. :)

- Horace

2 comments:

  1. ASMR is new to me, too. Thanks for the detailed ANTE and "blind" explanation. I am unlikely to ever play in such a situation, or any poker situation for that matter, but I'll have some inkling if it ever does happen. This solve was faster and smoother for me than yesterday's. The Miles Davis NONET was unfamiliar to me, but NONETs in general are not, so I was able to enter that off of just a couple of crosses. The clue for ASTRAL was pretty good. NOTAKEBACKS is what I'd have said, not this "no takesies backsies," which is not something that would have been heard in my childhood neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree on NOTAKEBACKS! I found this good and, once again, mild for a Saturday (6:53). Essentially yielded to pressure, with no real pain points anywhere. ASMR was new to me as well. Near the beginning, I ran across MYB and assumed there was some trickery to follow with hidden ADs all over the grid, but no....

    ReplyDelete