Sunday, December 4, 2022

Sunday, December 4, 2022, Gustie Owens

GOSSIP SESSION

Talk, talk - it's all talk. Too much talk. Small talk. Talk that trash. 

Any King Crimson fans out there? No? ... moving on.

Today's theme puts punny clues onto expressions used to describe gossiping. The local favorite, of course, is "The Boston Harbor worker ..." SPILLSTHETEA. Heh. The grossest one is "The athlete in the locker room ..." AIRSTHEDIRTYLAUNDRY. Somebody needs a HOSEDOWN. See also: "Sweat spots" (PORES) (Nice clue!).

Mary Magdalene by ELGRECO

I had never before heard of a PROUST Questionnaire, but I looked it up, of course, and it was apparently a parlor game in the Victorian era. Proust famously answered it at two separate times in his life, and his name has now been attached to it. My favorite of his answers is to the question "Your favorite color and flower" - in 1886 he wrote "I like them all, and for the flower I do not know," and in 1890 he wrote "The beauty is not in the colors, but in their harmony."

I had also never heard of an IDLI (Savory rice cake of southern India), but I'll be looking for them on the menu the next time we get Indian food.

As for good C/APs, how 'bout "Defense of a history paper?" (FORTRESS). And I really liked the simplicity of "Print maker" for PAW and "It's designed to catch bugs" for WEB. And I love the quote "ART is never finished, only abandoned." by Leonardo. Good threes are always a good thing.

Fun theme. And speaking of fun, Frannie finally comes back tomorrow! I, for one, am looking forward to that. :)

- Horace


2 comments:

  1. An IDLI is sometimes served for breakfast. Might be a bit hard to find in the US but I'd look for it at a Southern Indian restaurant especially. A tiny bit like a biscuit or something (but more air and less fat), so I don't have a great description in a few words. (I did put it in off the clue, once I figured out it wasn't the variant spelling IDLy).

    I also enjoyed DAHLIA since that was also one I got off the clue (so much so that I erased RUNSout to make it fit), and which I assume was pretty obscure for a non plant person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While DAHLIA is known to me, I entered orchId off of the clue, but quickly changed it as the crosses filled in. I never heard of IDLI either, and needed all of the crosses, but Mr. Kingdon's description of it paints it as something I wouldn't mind trying. I enjoyed the theme today, probably siding with the grid-spanning HASALLTHEJUICYDETAILS as my favorite, with the weakest being SHARESANACCOUNT, something I am against in principle. I mean, if we want entertainment, we should all pay for it, no? A nice Sunday diversion, as usual.

    ReplyDelete