Friday, July 31, 2026

Friday, July 31, 2026, Rafael Musa

This solver found today's puzzle fun but less TAXing than some Friday puzzles, and I don't think it's because I'm a SMARTYPANTS but maybe because there were some straightforward entry points into almost every section including 2D: "Assenting chorus" (AMENS) in the northwest, "Style secured with a scrunchie" (PONYTAIL) in the northeast, "___ incognita" (TERRA) and "Denial in Aberdeen" (NAE) in the southeast, and in the southwest "Formal pause in a line of poetry" (CAESURA). :) 

That being said, there were many clever, trixy, and entertaining Clue/Answer pairs throughout. In the Question Mark Clue (QMC) category we have the amusing "Withholding something? (TAX) and "Where to be above all the drama?" (OPERABOX), with best in class - in MIME opinion - being "Sex work?" (KAMASUTRA). In the non-QMC category, I enjoyed "It'll pass!" (FAD), "Cry when shaking hands" (DEAL), and "Change for a bill" (AMENDMENT). Two highly ambiguous clues took their TOLLS on my time: "Make one" (FUSE) and "Rings" (TOLLS). Challenging for me was "Genre for Logic" until I actively noticed the capital L and realized Logic referred to a human entity known for RAP. Then I was ALLSMILES.

44A: OPERABOX

The puzzle also featured an ACRE of fun fill like PETNAME, SERENASLAM, XANADU, and SLEEPOVERS. I am always happy to see a nod to Pride and Prejudice, in this case, the youngest Bennet sister, LYDIA. I was less happy to consider the highlighted ingredient in the salad yum khai mod daeng (ANTEGG). My POV on that one is ICANTEVEN

In sum, a fun and fast Friday. YAYME! :)

~Frannie.

1 comment: