Monday, August 5, 2013

Monday, August 5, 2013, Alan Arbesfeld

0:07:39

More difficult, I thought, than some Mondays. AGITA (1A: Uneasy feeling) starting it off was surprising. That's not a word I know. Frannie knew it, but on Monday, usually only one of us does the puzzle, so that didn't help me. RIFIFI (18D: Classic Jules Dassin heist film), too, was completely foreign to me. Still, both were easily filled in with crosses. Didn't love OCTADS (8D: Groups of eight) or SHALALA (11D: Song syllables in the title of a 1964 hit) either. Both are perfectly fine, I guess, but that doesn't mean I have to like them.

What I did like, was the universe (-al) theme. I didn't realize that FORDGALAXY was a 24A: Minivan since the mid '90s. Back in my day, it was a sedan. The first car I drove with any regularity was my grandfather's old '68 Custom 500, which was very similar to the Galaxy, and which was not a minivan.

Some other nice stuff, too, like ASCRIBE (44A: Attribute (to)), and EXPIRE (46D: Run out, as a subscription). On balance, a good Monday.

- Horace

1 comment:

  1. 7:23
    Some nice ones in this puzzle, namely: 38D Apt pig Latin for “trash” (ASHTRAY); 45D Galoot (BIGAPE); and 2D Humongous numbers (GOOGOLS). Also, I LOVED the theme. However, there were a couple of groan-worthy offerings, such as: 41D Leftovers after peeling (PARINGS) and 9D Alternative to cash or check (CHARGE), but enjoyable theme, clues and answers overall for a Monday.

    ReplyDelete