Monday, March 7, 2016

Monday, March 7, 2016, Damon Gulczynski

5:00

Does it count as an error if you put in FIVEO instead of FIVE0? If you think so, then you would say I finished with one error. I'm not feeling so harsh on myself today. Maybe it's my sore throat and annoying cough, but I'm giving myself a pass on this one.

Anyhoo, are the 90s officially retro now? I'm not sure. I think the decade is still too close. That being said, let's examine these examples of 90SFADS. First: TAMAGOTCHIS. My daughters had examples of these in the early 2000s, and they still exist, although as apps rather than standalone devices. They first were made in 1996. So maybe, maybe not.

THERACHEL is a clear example. No complaints here. Similarly with THEMACARENA, which came out in 1993 and made it big in the USA in 1996.

DRMARTENS, however, I will definitely cry foul on. First off, the shoes were first sold in 1947 (created by a German army doctor during WWII! I am surprised - thought they were British through and through). Second, I know they became popular in the 1980s, punk associated. Third, my daughter owns a pair, and they've become very popular again in the last 5-10 years. So this does not feel like a specifically 90s-centric phenomenon.

I like the fill on this grid, though. 1A: Exterior (OUTER) is very bland. Gets a C. It's been a dry run recently for the first entry into the NYT puzzles. But WHAMO is a favorite (if only for their discs). METADATA is a fine entry. Feels very contemporary. And I always enjoy a FUGUE.

So even if the theme is a little uneven, it's a good Monday.

- Colum

1 comment:

  1. 6:42
    A little surprising to see numbers on a Monday! It took me a long while to figure out how to enter 9PM. And somehow I missed the TAMAGOTCHIS thing altogether. So this played a little harder than usual for me. Also, SEISMS? Yeesh.

    ReplyDelete