Monday, March 4, 2024

Monday, March 4, 2024, Samantha Podos Nowak

Cute theme today, where the word BANANA is split across answers in four rows, beginning with row two, where it is found between SCUBA and NANAS. It also appears between CABANA and NAYSAYER, SUBURBAN and ANALOG, and CUBAN and ANAIS. Fun idea. 

TALON

Quite a range of clues today, from "Opposite of NNW" (or "please enter") (SSE), to the more elegant "It comes from the heart" (ARTERY). See also "Gimlet or screwdriver" for TOOL. Very nice.

The clue and answer "'YER out!' (ump's call)" always reminds me of an old Intellivision baseball game. The action was so slow, and with every routine grounder, after you heard the sound of the ball hitting the first baseman's mitt, they would play this very robotic-sounding "YER out." My brother and I still mimic the exact call from time to time.

I was a little surprised by AISLESEAT (Plane passenger's preference, perhaps), because if I am going to be up in that tin can, I want to have a view. My preference would always be a window seat. But de gustibus non disputandum est, eh, Dear Reader?

Fun puzzle, and a good way to start the week.

- Horace

1 comment:

  1. I prefer an AISLESEAT myself. More room for the old legs, perhaps. Also easier to get up and down if the facilities are needed. Although you do have to displace yourself more frequently for the benefit of others. How about AQABA on a Monday? Also, the BA at the end there is not part of the BANANA/SPLITS seen elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete