Saturday, March 9, 2024

Saturday, March 9, 2024, John Guzzetta

Happy Saturday to you all! No DIGITALDETOX for me this morning. I did the puzzle, checked my email, did Wordle (4) and Connections (one mistake) and I looked at the new Threads for the first time last night, so maybe I'll look at that again today too, but first I have to write this review. 

CLEF (Sign in front of some bars)

I got a running start in today with DINGS (Slight faults, to a rater), ADO (Kerfuffle), and MERCYBUCKETS ("Thanks a lot!," in intentionally butchered French). All that gave DIORAMAS (They often come in shoeboxes), but I couldn't immediately come up with INFODEMIC (Widespread rumors, in a portmanteau) or NEWNORMAL (Post-crisis baseline), so I moved over the the NE, where I guessed InA (Spanish diminutive) (ITA) and dothETIME (Pay for a crime, say) (SERVETIME), which didn't help a lot.

So it sometimes is of a Saturday, nest paw? I liked this one, though. It ran the gamut from ROOTCAUSE (Underlying reason) to TELEOLOGY (Branch of causality that comes from the Greek for "study of the end"), from "Tony Stark or Jack Sparrow feature" (GOATEE) to "BeyoncĂ©'s 'Dangerously in Love' or John Lennon's 'Imagine'" (SOLOALBUM), and from ENOS (Biblical figure said to have died at the age of 905) to EROS (Concupiscent one). Add in a couple of good quotes - "The ultimate form of free speech," to Denis Leary (COMEDY) and "The origin of wisdom," per RenĂ© Descartes (DOUBT) - and you've got a good thing going.

Sorry I can't stay and chat more, but IGOTTARUN.

- Horace


No comments:

Post a Comment