Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Tuesday, March 5, 2024, Christina Iverson

Wow. I take my hat off to you, Ms. Iverson, for coming up with this THREEHOLEPUNCH theme. Three "holes" - LOGICALFALLACY, EMPTYSPACE, and PIGSTY (Hah!), and FRUITDRINK (punch). It made me laugh out loud when I figured it out. Hah!

TAYLOR Swift

In other news, I hadn't realized that a BOLA was originally (presumably) a "Cattle-catching weapon," but it sure makes sense. (No HOLMES, I.) And am I the only one who doesn't like the trend in clueing that always makes an ODOR a "Strong smell?" Just last month it was an "Unpleasant smell," and before that a "Febreze target." Does it always have to be bad? I guess maybe so. It's just one more hole in my understanding of words.

I enjoyed the symmetrical pairs SLANGY (Like "b-boy" or "my b") and DWEEBY (Dorky), and the non-symmetrical ANI (What "their" is spelled with, but not "there" or "they're") and GOI ("There but for the grace of God ____"). BIGMOMENT (Eagerly awaited occasion) and BARNDANCE (Where to swing your partner 'round and 'round) were good long Down fill, and we got a little French action with LOIRE (France's longest river) and AMI (French friend). But honestly, with a theme like this, the fill could have been anything.

- Horace

2 comments:

  1. Fun stuff! I loved this theme. Completely unexpected, especially the PUNCH portion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here! I had no idea until the end, and I still didn't feel like I fully "got" PIGSTY. (But now I do)

    ReplyDelete