Thursday, March 7, 2024

Thursday, March 7, 2024, Joe O'Neill

Well, Dear Reader, if you know me, you know I like the poetries, so you can probably guess that I chuckled at this "modern reimagining" of a classic Frost poem. Here it is for your amusement:

IKNOWWHOSEWOODS
THESEAREMYHORSE
ISRESTLESSIHAVE
ALOTTODOGIDDYUP

It pretty much hits all the notes minus meter and rhyme, and who has time for extraneous beauty these days anyway. I think we should probably move this blog to bullet format and free up your mornings a little more, no? Did we like it? Yes/No. Were there interesting bits? Yes/No. What more do you need? What more could you want?

BLOSSOMS

These are the questions that keep me up at night. 

So anyway, this played tough for me, being old and out of it as I am. I was not familiar with J. B. SMOOVE, MAMA Africa, or YUNG Gravy, and "Throw" did not, and still does not, equate with PEG for me, so even though I guessed a G there (for YUNG), when I didn't get the "Congrats" message, I thought that must be it. Turns out I had entered SNiT for "Impudent person" (thinking, I guess, about "snip") (it's actually SNOT). Ugh. Anyway, the whole SE was a disaster. 

I don't know... even with the poetry angle, I didn't love it. "Lowest of the low?" for BASS? Is it really, though? What about basso profondo? And are clothes really PILED in a hamper? Can you say it's PILED if it's contained within something? Am I piling trash up by throwing it in the wastebasket? HARDLY.

On the bright side, "Athlete who snaps" was a clever clue for CENTER, and "Untimely?" was cute for LATE

But enough about me, how'd you like it?

- Horace

2 comments:

  1. I don't know why, but it cracked me up! I love the Frost poem -- I love Robert Frost, period -- but "re-imagining" the venerable wordsmith as a curmudgeon tickled me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just did this crossword, it's the worst one I've done in to my knowledge. The clues were bad and the answers were a stretch. Joe O'Neill is a bad human

    ReplyDelete