Saturday, April 6, 2024

Saturday, April 6, 2024, Byron Walden

Another tricksy Saturday. Good prep for today's tournament, I suppose. Best not to get hopes too high. My goal, as always, is clean puzzles. I like being fast if possible, but I'm not going to win anything, so being accurate is the focus this weekend. 


BUBBLY (Vivacious) was a fun start, but those Downs off of it were brutal! BADTHING seems so vague for "Demerit," and although I now sort of remember the UHOHOREO, it was not something I ever thought about. And BIGUPSET - is it really "Cinderella's calling card?" I guess I understand the reference, but I don't know... 

BSIDE (Under cut?) was "Saturday cute," let's call it. My favorite was "Thick envelope during admissions season, say," as it brought back some good memories. It's admissions season now, isn't it? Here's hoping all you young people (Do any do the NYTX? Do any read this blog??) get thick envelopes from all your top choices!

I clearly don't watch enough ZOMBIEMOVIES, because "Pictures where people are headscarfed?" didn't mean anything to me. "'Death Be Not Proud,' for one" (SONNET) was more up my alley. 

Best clue today: "Can't they all just git along?" (DOGIES). Brilliant. Runner up: "Something that many people share" (MEME). And I loved the bluntness of ITSTINKS (Zero stars). Heh.

OK, I've gotta get ready to go over to the Marriott soon. I was too late to get a room there, so it's a little bit of a walk. Best of luck to everyone who will join me in that ballroom today. 

- Horace


2 comments:

  1. Good luck to everybody! Wish I could be there, but I'm off to Amherst for my daughter's Senior solo performance with the Amherst College Orchestra. I found yesterday's and today's puzzles extremely challenging, lending support to the theory that we've seen an uptrend (?) in difficulty since Gagliano has taken over editorship. I had eroDE for BSIDE for a long time, going along with iagrEE instead of OHISEE. Tough going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun! I had to cheat to finish this puzzle -- the SW corner, oof! But the rest flowed nicely...I, too, loved the clue for DOGIES. Will you post pictures?

    ReplyDelete