Friday, April 5, 2024

Friday, April 5, 2024, Rebecca Goldstein

 It's been a busy day. Frankly, I have very little memory of the puzzle since I did it at 5:30AM and subsequently helped a contractor rebuild part of our front porch, and then hijacked that same contractor (a friend of ours) to help me build out my new art studio, taking up the time I would have spent writing the review, and leaving me to dictate it to Frannie as we make our way through terrible traffic to Stamford for the ACPT.

Thanks to Frannie's extremely helpful review of all the clues and answers as we make our way south, I can say a few things about the puzzle. I liked the strong start with ONICE (In reserve). "It might make a cameo" was cute for ONYX. MOXIE, SWANKY, and CABOOSES are all fun words. 

The straightforwardness of POINTBLANK (Direct) was amusing. We have friends who really know how to "Go all in for a gag" so I also enjoyed COMMITTOTHEBIT

"Question for the naysayers" (ALLOPPOSED) was clever. The LIONSSHARE of the short Downs were uninteresting, with TERN being one exception, mostly due to its clue (Bird that makes the longest migration in the animal kingdom). 

And speaking of tern, has anyone heard of the word SLUE for "Turn on an axis" before? Frannie sure hasn't.

That's all for now. Got to pay some attention to the road. Good luck to everyone participating in the ACPT. If you are in Stamford this weekend, be sure say hello. I'm the hippie version of George Clooney (according to Frannie), if you don't already know me.

- Horace 

No comments:

Post a Comment