Saturday, April 13, 2024

A fun Saturday puzzle which, judging by my time (23:39), falls on the easier side of the range. I especially enjoyed "Whimsically move from here to there" (SKIP), "One stymied by security questions, say" (BOT), "Go all over" (GAD), "Checks for clothes" (PLAID), "Fit for a queen?" (DRAG), and "They don't care for icing, for short" (NHL) - a sports-themed clue that I dropped right in. Score!

42D: TOMATO

Lots of spoken phrase clues in the grid - not usually my cup of ICEDTEAS - but for some reason, today I was able to SAYAGAIN the gist of the clues in the correct form (YOUTELLME, IMWELLAWARE, EASYMAN, ISTHATANO, HAPPYNOW, COMEONIN). 

The clue "Capellini lookalike" strung me along because I thought ANGELHAIR pasta was the same as capellini, not just a doppelganger. I wonder what the actual distinction is. Elsewhere, for the most part, I either knew the answers or was able to guess them, with the most difficult section for me being the northwest. I know of, and have played PADDIDDLE (interesting word!), but I didn't think of it until I had the P of PANGS ("Evidence of hunger") in place. I was also hampered by entering 'beret' for "Felt hat" and having it stay in place instead of switching to the correct DERBY. Minor missteps included 'gel' instead of GOO for "Mousse, e.g.", 'taxi' instead of SHOO for the visually entertaining clue "Cry while swishing one's hand around," and jumping the gun by positing 'coal' as the start of the answer for "Fuel conduit" due to the L in the DOLLYPARTON cross  with the GASLINE "I'm not offended by all of the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb ... and I also know that I'm not blonde." :)

~Frannie.


No comments:

Post a Comment