Saturday, June 1, 2013

Saturday, June 1, 2013, Barry Silk

0:40:41

This was a fun one! Lots of clever clues, and "Aha!" moments. For example, 15A: Great depression (HURRICANE), and 22A: Considered revolting (DETESTED). Both are nice, misleading clues. And I loved 19A: Short play (REC). 21A: Like some taxes and questions (EVADED) is very nice. 61A: Painful spa treatment (BIKINIWAX) and 10A: Yoke attachment (OXBOW) are not exactly clever or funny, or, in the case of the former, very pleasant to think about, but they are interesting answers to see in the grid.

Not much to complain about, which is nice. STE and RTE both showing up is less than stellar, but I'll take it. I don't even mind XED (24A: Struck).

Loved the clue/answer 44: Game of falling popularity? (TETRIS) for its double entendre. Very nice. And 2D: Nepalese bread (RUPEE) eluded me right up to the end.

ERECTORSET and COGRAILWAY are both terrific. All in all, a very satisfying Saturday.

- Horace

1 comment:

  1. Unknown time, but several days and at least two hours.

    Very difficult for me, but things eventually filled in. 21D Leaving out stumped me for a while, as did COGRAILWAY and 17A They're available in alleys OPENLANES: wasn't thinking of bowling. I'm glad I didn't give up on it.

    ReplyDelete