Monday, April 14, 2014

Monday, April 14, 2014, Gareth Bain

0:07:20

A little homonym practice today, with three phrases demonstrating proper usage of "there," "their," and "they're." I dislike most references to Ronald Reagan (17A: Famous debate words from Reagan to Carter (THEREYOUGOAGAIN)), so that got me off on the wrong foot as far as "feeling good about the puzzle" goes, and I never fully recovered. I didn't ABHOR (28D: Hate, hate hate) it, but it wasn't grrrrreat either. Also adding to my GLOOM (9A: Atmosphere of despondency) was the fact that I over -thought "38A: Sported, as a sports jacket" and entered the past participle "worn" instead of the simple past "WORE," and that took quite a while to find, as I never even looked at 19D: Some daisies (OXEYES). Oh well…

So…. it was fine.

- Horace

1 comment:

  1. 15:22
    Of course, I love a Reagan reference, so this puzzle was fine for me. It took me a bit longer than a typical Monday, though. I like seeing NASA in there, and didn't know STLUCIA right off the bat, though I did know the three long quotes. Blue material is not really in evidence in today's puzzle. Maybe MOONS and PAIR, but neither clue is blue. I did like the mention of 31D Mars's Phobos and Deimos, though, so I'm OK without that clue as is. 38D Gourmet (FOODIE) makes me think of Rich and Annie, the latter of the pair having described them as such.

    ReplyDelete