Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Tuesday, April 15, 2014, Gary Cee

0:09:28

Kind of a cute baseball theme today, with the starts of the first four theme answers defining pitches outside the strike zone, and the fifth giving the result: BASEONBALLS (63A: Batter's reward after pitches like those described at the starts of 17-, 24-, 39-, and 51-Across). The theme answers are all perfectly normal, too, which adds to the cleanliness of the theme.

I think "21A: ____ clef" is an odd way to clue BASS, but maybe one gets tired of a fish clue after a while. And speaking of odd clues, I thought "6D: Position" for STEAD was unusual, too. And I've known about USA Today for quite some time, but I don't think I've ever known that it was published by Gannett. You?

PRECIS (27A: Concise summary) might be a little précieux for a Tuesday, and DADO (28D: Middle part of a pedestal) is pretty obscure, too… but what are you gonna do?

Overall, I thought it was a little boring. My favorite clue was probably 64D: Repeated request from an Alabama cheerleader (ANA), and when ANA is involved in your favorite part of a puzzle, the puzzle might be lacking a little interest. Well… MARSEILLE (38D: "The Count of Monte Cristo" setting) is good, too, but maybe only because it evokes a story that is much more exciting than this puzzle. It's not that it is bad - there's not much groanable fill - but it didn't sing. But maybe that's just because I don't much care about baseball these days.

- Horace

2 comments:

  1. 10:30
    Wow, what a panning. Anyway, I had to search the grid for the reason why I didn't get a "Congratulations!" after putting in the last letter and found that I'd misspelled BASS as BASe, probably due to the theme! And of course, En MASeE doesn't fly. I liked 13D Unit of light (LUMEN) because it reminded me of the Julia Stiles character from "Dexter," though I understand that most people didn't like her in that. I don't see too many puzzles that include Bert LAHR, and I, too, enjoyed seeing MARSEILLE because, like Horace, it reminds me of that great story. I wonder, though, whether ORLON is indeed a 68A Cashmere alternative, or if the puzzle constructor is making some kind of joke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point about Orlon. Another blogger (Diary of a Crossword Fiend) remarked that Orlon hasn't been made since the 1970's, and, as you say, even if it were still being made, I don't think anyone who cares what they wear would consider it an alternative to cashmere.

    ReplyDelete