Saturday, April 5, 2014

Saturday, April 5, 2014, Ashton Anderson and James Mulhern

1:01:36

A lovely Saturday grid full of interesting answers. We were saved from a DNF thanks to Frannie putting in the last A of AYLA (24A: Cro-Magnon orphan of literature) and ALEXA (9D: Internet traffic statistics company). We were once acquainted with one of the founders of ALEXA and the Internet Archive, by the way. And yes, I just name-dropped without actually name-dropping.

But back to the grid! PANOPLY (38D: Impressive range), ANATOLIA (36D: It was home to two Wonders of the Ancient World) (The Temple of Artemis at Ephesus and the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus), PATTYCAKE (44A: It involves hand-to-hand coordination), MAKEBANK (36D: Earn a load of money, in modern lingo)... all great. The clue for (the full name) TOMKITE (32A: U.S. Open champion whose last name is a toy) was great. And I liked how LEGALIZEIT (18A: Debut Peter Tosh album, and a rallying cry for pot smokers) crossed REEFER (12D: Joint).

So much good. DOOFUS/REEFER/AEROBE all side-by-side... there's almost no slop at all! There's that one square... we got it, but even if we hadn't, I think I'd still love this one.

- Horace

1 comment:

  1. 56:43
    This wasn't as tough for me as yesterday's (which I just finished). 5A Drive to drink, e.g. (PRIMALURGE) had me flummoxed for awhile, and I'd never heard of PLIE (5D Bit of ballet instruction), but the crosses were all ultimately gettable, so this puzzle was just fine. Our guests are due to arrive at any moment, so I'm cutting this short.

    ReplyDelete