Sunday, September 5, 2021

Sunday, September 5, 2021, Grant Thackray

GO UP IN SMOKE

Today, five entries need to rise up from a final "ash" in order to correctly answer their clues. JOHNNYCASH, for example, turns upward at the A to become instead JOHNNYC/ARSON, which correctly answers the clue "30-year host of late-night TV." It's a clever trick. The others are:

UNLEASH becomes UNLEADED (Like gasoline nowadays)
REHASH becomes REHABCENTER (Addiction treatment locale)
HOGWASH turns into HOGWARTSHOUSE (Gryffindor, Slytherin, Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw)
TALKSTRASH becomes TALKSTRAIGHT (Be completely candid) 

And did anyone else notice that RISElike / aphoenix fits in perfectly where RISEFROM / THEASHES belongs? I thought that was interesting.

And really, a clever puzzle. We do still have the age-old problem of five clues with "-," and there are five Down answers that don't make sense, but sometimes that's ok. And it's especially ok when you've got clues like "Pot grower's remark?" (IRAISE), "Lead-off selections?" (ERASERS), and "Present-day saint?" (NICHOLAS). Ha! Those are all excellent.

I don't have a ton of time today, as we are entertaining guests, but I don't want to sell this one short, either. It was a little trickier than Sundays sometimes are, for me anyway. Or maybe I've just been in a slow spell this week... but that doesn't really matter. The puzzle was fun, and the little YEESH-worthy things like SGS, REECHO, and RES weren't too high a price to pay.

Two more things - ARSENE Lupin - the first season was enjoyable. And who knew the crossword star OREO was "thought to be stamped with symbols of the Knights Templar?" 

OK, that's all. I hope you enjoyed it too. Frannie takes over tomorrow, and I'll see you in a few weeks. Happy Puzzling!

- Horace

1 comment:

  1. Very fine Sunday! I wish more were like this one. I was severely mislead by seeing "arson" heading upwards in the first "-" down entry. I thought I had it figured out, that each one of the "-" answers would be related to fire somehow, maybe "going up in smoke"? or some sort of trickery. I love the actual theme though, and it's carried out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete