Saturday, January 22, 2022

Saturday, January 22, 2022, Daniel Okulitch

Whew! Another "end-of-week" puzzle that lives up to its placement! But what an EGOBOOST when it finally came together! 

Zener cards

Some quality entries today. MENTALGYMNASTICS (Cognitive contortions) is a lovely, extra-long grid-spanner. And SLUSHIE crossing ICECREAM (Kind of sandwich) is a tasty combination. Except nobody wants to actually eat those two at the same time. Me, I'll take the sandwich any day.

And speaking of eating, I wonder how many folks actually choose to be FREEGAN (Person who lives on discarded food). Probably not all that many.

Not having watched "Game of Thrones," HODOR needed all the crosses. As did SOO (Actress Phillipa of Broadway's "Hamilton") for that matter. So it's a good thing that LEGOHOUSE (Danish tourist attraction with multiple play areas) was basically inferrable once I had everything but those two crosses. 

I had "bene fatto" in for "Well done, in Italy" (MOLTOBENE) for a while, and I guessed "earned" for "Brought (in)," but eventually I got the KINKs worked out.

HIREDGOON (Gorilla with a job to do) made me laugh, and "Words read with feeling" (BRAILLE) is brilliant. Just brilliant.

Overall, a satisfying Saturday.

- Horace

2 comments:

  1. Bravo! Beautiful puzzle! I needed the crossers for HORCRUX, BOTTOM, HODOR, and TIMOTHEE, but they were kind to me. Had SLURPEE before SLUSHIE...an easy fix once ICE CREAM dropped in. Standing O for the BRAILLE clue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved it! Crushed this one in 6:45, not far off my fastest Sat ever. Really clever clues. I was wondering if the Danish tourist attraction was going to be some Danification of LEGOLAND (LEGOLAAND, e.g.?) I put FORAGER in instead of FREEGAN which caused some trouble..

    ReplyDelete