Thursday, January 13, 2022

Thursday, January 13, 2022, Karen Lurie

SPOILERALERT! 

In this review, I will reveal information about the puzzle for today! Read on at your risk!

[space to stop you from reading if you don't want]

Okay, just kidding. Most of our readers are coming here after solving, I assume. Instead, we get semi-spoilers about three films that are at least 17 years old. Amusingly, the titles are turned around to make the spoilers. Thus, "Finding Nemo" becomes THEYFOUNDNEMO. "Kill Bill" becomes SHEKILLEDBILL. And "Free Willy" becomes HEFREEDWILLY. I enjoy that we get a different pronoun for each spoiler.

I put it to you that it's not tricksy enough for Thursday. ("Mr. Aldridge, I put it to you that you are dead... No further questions, your Honor.") I do like something a bit more surprising. Or difficult to figure out. I think this is more a Wednesday level puzzle. Which makes three in a row, in my opinion. What do you think?

Chimichurri sauce

Meanwhile, I liked Wonder Woman POWERPOSING opposite from GWENSTEFANI.

Some C/APs to my taste:

5D: Chicks, say (BROOD). Lovely word, and a non-S ending plural.

11D: They're constantly lapped (SHORES).

46D: One of a character class in Dungeons & Dragons (CLERIC) - surprising shout-out to a game I am very much enjoying playing once more.

55D: Man, for one (ISLE) - hidden capital alert!

I'll take a pass on BODYOIL, and see you all tomorrow.

- Colum

3 comments:

  1. I don't know, I kind of liked this one. I remained ignorant of the trick for quite some time, and then once I got HEFREEDWILLY it all came crashing down. But in a fun way.

    "So-called Cardinal, I put it to you that you died in December, 1642." ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved it! It fooled me and then got me laughing at myself, which is always a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this one too, even though it took me longer than a lot of Saturdays. I kept thinking that there was some word related to spoilage imbedded in the actual movie titles. Dumb, I know, in retrospect.

    ReplyDelete