Friday, November 11, 2022

Friday, November 11, 2022, Brooke Husic and Erik Agard

Definitely a Friday. I spent a lot of time in the SE working out WHOO (Owl's sound) (not hoOt) and NOTHANKYOU (Pass words?) (very nice). The "Sportscaster Adams who hosted "Good Morning Football" (KAY) and "M.L.B. All-Star Anderson" (TIM) were never going to help me. And neither was SMOKEYEYE (Blended style of facial makeup), for that matter. Luckily, the two cooking clues - "Chef's creation" (MENU) and the excellent "Wraps that might have sauce on them" (APRONS) did eventually help out.

ALFRED (left)

Speaking of excellent clues - there were a lot of them today. The best might be WISHLIST, sitting right in the middle, "Noun phrase that's present perfect indicative?" Wow. Nice. "Wild ride?" (PARTYBUS), and "Launch party?" (NASA) were fun, too. And I liked the paired clues "Are awesome"x2 (RULE & ROCK) and "Stomach"x2 (GUT & ENDURE). It's always nicer when the are next to each other in the clue list, as in the first pair, or crossing in the grid, as in the second. 

"Atonement for a mistake" (AMENDS) is especially appropriate today, because when I woke up in the middle of the night last night, it occurred to me that the apartment we were in did not match the photos shown on AirBnB. It had been a long time ago that we reserved the place, so I went back to check my memory, but sure enough, it was different. I wrote to the person who rented it to us in the morning, and it turned out that he had put us in the wrong unit! So we had to pack everything up and move across the alleyway. It did all have a happy ending, however, as this place does look like the photos, and we actually like it better! Weird, though. It's the first time we've encountered such a QUEER glitch.

Overall, I quite liked this Friday offering. Now it's time to find a patisserie. :) 

A bientôt!

- Horace

3 comments:

  1. I got cocky when I threw in NASA off of a glance at the clue, but the section that flummoxed you did the same to me, for the same reasons, and I finished in a very slow 33 minutes or so. But that's fine, because this puzzle was packed with excellent cluing and answers, which is what we want on a Friday. And I'm now on a 96-day streak, which is unprecedented for me. I previously had one in the sixties somewhere. If I survive tomorrow's, I'm nearly guaranteed to get over 100. Strange about the AirBnB. I'm glad it worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FANTASY/SERIES
    WISH/LIST
    DREAM/SEQUENCE

    All great entries...and it's a theme...a double theme, really. Hard for me, but doable. Loved the clues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally missed the series/list/sequence theme. And I'm still missing something... Why is it double?

      Delete