Thursday, November 10, 2022

Thursday, November 10, 2022, Dan Caprera

Well, Dear Reader, I said yesterday that we'd be in France very soon, and here we are, installé in our AirBnB over by the Bastille. It's great blogging from Europe, because it's already 10:15am over here, but back where you are it's only 4:15. So chances are very good that if you're not our regular reader Huygens, this review will be published before you wake up. I really should find a way to always blog from Europe... but for now, it will only be for a couple weeks.

Lucy Lawless, not her STUNTWOMAN

So anyway, here we are with a very unusual Thursday puzzle with axes marked off in letters and numbers. Then there are circles in four theme entries, and those circles contain coordinates that, when plotted and put in order from top to bottom, spell out the word PLOT. Huh. Did anybody else think that this was an awful long way to go for one four-letter word? 

I liked RHOMBI (Diamonds, geometrically), CONCOCT (Cook up), DEMEANOR (Outward behavior), and INCANT (Recite ritually) - ten-cent words, all. And who doesn't love a MIMOSA (Brunch beverage)? "Big feller?" was cute for AXE, and HEWS (Swings a 54-Across at, say) was a fun tie-in. 

I'm not familiar with TOETAPS, but I probably should be, especially given the current state of my "core." And what's more, as soon as I hit "Publish" I'll be going out to find a MADELEINE!

This was a weird one, that's for sure. How'd you like it?

- Horace

3 comments:

  1. I love Paris in the Fall! 'Course, I've never been to Paris, but that's what the song says -- what fun for you and Frannie! Enjoy yourselves.

    PLOT was already in place before I could PLOT the word. I like MENDELEEV and SOFTY...and I learned something new with MADELEINE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't really "get" this one. It was super easy (3:53 on a Thursday?!?) and I agree - the PLOT payoff seemed really insubstantial. Maybe I'm missing something? I guess the cleverness of embedding the coordinates in the longer clues....

    Paris!! Ah bien. Hope you have a wonderful deux semaines!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the mention! I was finished with the puzzle prior to your blogging about it, and Thursdays are especially busy for me so I never got back to my machine to comment. Yes, it's a long way to go around for PLOT, but that's fine. Interesting-looking grid, but I was hoping for more in the way of a trick. And I agree with Philbo: super easy, as I finished in 8:58.

    ReplyDelete