Friday, November 18, 2022

Friday, November 18, 2022, Robyn Weintraub

We're in Paris, we're waking up with coffee in our AirBnB, it's a sunny, blue-sky day, and we've got tickets to the opera for tonight (Carmen) - what else could we possibly ask for? Well, a Robyn Weintraub puzzle to go with the coffee, that's what! Et voilà. THANKSALOT! :) 

Although there were a couple gimmes (MONSTERMASH and CAREPACKAGE, for example), I did FALTER in a few areas, and I was downright tricked by a few. The hidden capital in "Superior dwellings, say" (LAKEHOUSES) had me fooled, and the plain old normal capital in "Bill collectors?" (MONEYCLIPS) had me over-thinking things. And then there was "Toy from a place that no longer exists" (POMERANIAN). Nice. I looked it up, of course, and Pomerania was an area spanning parts of Germany and Poland, right at the edge of the Baltic Sea.

Duchy of Pomerania

We don't usually include pictures of things we talk about, but I thought this was interesting enough to break with tradition. In fact, here's another one that shows it more clearly in the current political context.

So anyway, another one where the clue didn't really help me until I had almost all the crosses was "Get out while you're still up?" (SKYDIVE). Heh. And how 'bout that "One of 26 in Texas's Katy Freeway (LANE). I guessed "mile" and Frannie guessed "exit," which I think is better, but LANE!? I looked it up, and sure enough, it's the widest highway in America. The photos are terrifying. And no, I'm not posting one. 

TRASHPANDA (Raccoon, humorously) will always bring a smile, and I also enjoyed "Roger's relative?" for COPYTHAT

In the "the clue is straightforward if you know the answer" category we have "It follows precedent" (CASELAW) and "Lender requiring collateral up front" (PAWNSHOP). Both very good.

Overall, a lovely way to start the day. Our plan for the rest of it is to stick around and explore the neighborhood where our AirBnB is. Maybe take a little stroll on the Coulée verte RENÉ-Dumont - Paris's raised walkway on an old railroad line that inspired the High Line in New York ... Maybe hang out a bit in our local Bistro du Coin... or maybe just buy eclair after eclair before struggling to fit into our fancy clothes for the night out. So, as you can see, we're quite busy. Until tomorrow, then.

- Horace


2 comments:

  1. A decidedly good busy. I've been on the High Line in NYC, and quite enjoyed it. I'm sure its counterpart is delightful. And "Carmen" will definitely be a nice way to cap off the day. Seems like too much pastry eating over there, though. Anyway, really smooth fill today and excellent clues and answers. Typical Friday time under twenty for me. I enjoyed ALLOVERTHEMAP and HEREWEGOAGAIN, and my band just played MONSTERMASH at our recent Halloween gathering! Nice to see it in the grid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Relatively easy for me except for the NE corner. I had REAM instead of RASP and I still never heard of a TRASH PANDA. Finally got it fixed, though. Enjoy your night out!

    ReplyDelete