Sunday, September 24, 2023

Sunday, September 24, 2023, Joel Fagliano and Christina Iverson

REBRANDINGS

I'm back for one more day. Frannie starts tomorrow, and she doesn't do Sundays, so I'm filling in.

Today we have some re-spelled brand names clued punnily. My favorite might be TALKOBELLE (We've rebranded! Now we produce a "Beauty and the Beast"-themed podcast!) because it's just so ludicrous. AMERICANHEIRLINES (... Now we do genealogy for the U.S.'s rich and famous!), BESTBYE (... We now help write breakup letters!), and HOLEFOODS (... Now we sell doughnuts and bagels!) are also quite good. So silly. Just like a Sunday should be, I guess. And I like how the first and last Across answers are tied into the whole marketing thing - "Reaction to the 1950s culture of commercial consumerism" (POPART) and TESTER (Certain employee of a game company or perfumery). 

Interesting to learn that Louis Braille was only a TEEN (fifteen, in fact) when he invented his method for tactile reading. He was not born blind, but was blinded at a young age from an accident and ensuing infection. (Sorry. Let's move on.)

"Drops like flies?" was a surprising clue for UNZIPS. And "Took the bench" (SAT) also got a smile. And I didn't know Queen Victoria "selected" OTTAWA ONTARIO to be the capital. Apparently, it was quite a contentious thing, selecting the capital. First it was Montreal, then they tried a two-city thing, then it was Quebec City, then they finally threw up their hands and let her decide. Philbo? Any comments on this?

And speaking of geographic trivia, I had no idea that it was ABEL Tasman, or that he was Dutch, although that shouldn't surprise anyone. They were all over the place.

FLU (Apt rhyme of "Achoo!") was cute, as was "Yule ball?" (ORNAMENT). I had GunS in place for far too long instead of GELS (Some T.S.A. no-nos), and it made it take way too long for me to remember the CONEHEADS ("S.N.L." characters who coined the term "parental units"). 

Overall, it was a fun one. I hope you enjoyed it. Now. Frannie really does take over tomorrow, not Colum, as I erroneously stated yesterday. Enjoy!

- Horace

No comments:

Post a Comment