Monday, October 30, 2023

Monday, October 30 2023, Kenneth Cortes

Happy Monday all!  Circumstances dictated that I do today's crossword at my desk at work, with a colleague looking over my shoulder, which slowed me down considerably.  And those same circumstances constrain me to keep this review short, so let's get to it!    Okay.  At first I thought there was something wrong with my browser today, as just about the entire grid was greyed out, as though the whole thing had been "selected" or something.  But no - turns out it's part of the theme - three clues have the word IDEA buried in them, with the revealer ("Stroke of genius...") being BRIGHTIDEA - and those embedded IDEAs are the only non-greyed squares so they stand out, in a BRIGHT sort of way.   Each theme answer is multi-word, with its IDEA spanning two words, which is cleverer than having it being part of a single larger word, which would have been NONIDEAL (heh heh).    Two IDEAs are split between the E and A, and one in the middle.  Posing the question - can you think of a phrase where it's split between the I and D?  I cannot.  (SEMI DEAR?)

Notables along the way ... I entered COCOA instead of MOCHA for 5A "Chocolaty coffee drink" - that'll teach me to not read the entire clue... I'd never heard that telling a ladybug's AGE by its spots was a thing.  Live and learn!  I lived in a MANSE ("Cleric's house") once upon a time, so that one was easy. 

Not much else to report.  Gentle Monday puzzle and now I have a colleague who's seen me in crosswording action!

Ta ta till Tues

-phil


No comments:

Post a Comment