Saturday, October 21, 2023

Saturday, October 21, 2023, Kelly Morenus

Love the grid today. Nice and open - wide swaths - and it looks kind of like a button. And a little like the Shazam app logo. And a little like a Ritz cracker. ... okaaaayyyyyy.....

ROTUNDA

As you've heard me say before, when I see long Across answers (and you most likely do the same), I look at them briefly before working the Downs. Today REININ (Curb, as spending) went right in, and I guessed and entered ECLAT for "Sparkle," then entered ONLY (Sole), PIA (____ mater), and SOYLATTE (Vegan coffee order), all of which made SECONDOPINION (What might be sought before a major decision) obvious, and I could see "shops" at the end of "Stores with fixed costs?" I thought briefly about REtAIlSHOPS having set prices, but REPAIRSHOPS is much better.

The only thing I hitched at while solving was MUSTY (Like many attics). I have never found an attic to be MUSTY. Dusty, sure. But I reserve MUSTY for basements. Since when are attics damp? Doesn't MUSTY imply "damp" to you?

It seems like things got tricky for Ms. Morenus over in the NESTERS, CENTRE, WANNEST section, but I think on balance it was worth it. I count myself among the FINNS, as Mom was 100% Finnish (rakastan sinua äiti), and "Some beach fliers" (KITES) was quite good. 

The bottom stack was great, with (Reprimand to one who spoke too soon) DONTINTERRUPTME, "Nonessential, as spending" (DISCRETIONARY), and the related TAKEMYMONEY ("I HAVE to have this – whatever it costs"). Excellent.

I'm out in Western Mass. today for another wedding. And, you know, I've been hearing people grouse a lot about how the wet summer was going to "rob us" of our fall color. To those people I say, take a ride out Route 2. Stop watching the news and go into the woods. It's as beautiful as ever this year. 

- Horace


No comments:

Post a Comment