Thursday, October 12, 2023

Thursday, October 12, 2023, John Nagamichi Cho

Quite a challenging Thursday puzzle today. I was definitely lost for some time, even though I had a lot of answers filled in. One reason was that I didn't see the "-" clues for a while; not until I had jumped down to the SE corner in hopes of finding a revealer that would help me out. I had already filled in CHR at 21D, wondering if that was an acceptable abbreviation for "chromosome," and then had POP at 22D, which clearly had nothing to do with dosing oneself.

And then I had the very odd clue at 63D: 27- or 55-Down backward (SSA). Yes, both of those other three-letter answers were ASS. Then I saw the "-," and then I got 65A: Covert missions ... or what's covert in eight of this puzzle's answers (BLACKOPS).

In each of the 4 pairs of black squares that touch the east and west sides of the grid, put in the letters OP, and 8 answers suddenly make sense. Now that CHR becomes CHR[O]MOS[O]MES, and 22D: Dosed onself (POP[P]EDA[P]ILL) is much more correct. It also allows for [OP]TFOR and [OP]ENCALL.

On the other side of the grid, we get IMN[O]TAR[O]BOT and PET[P]ASS[P]ORT as well as SWEETS[OP] (never heard of this apple name) and RAGT[OP].

With those black squares essentially removed, the puzzle becomes a much chunkier grid, especially since the long answers are next to an equally long down answer and an 8-letter answer as well. You have to give a nod of recognition to the constructor. The puzzle works in traditional crossword rules in both the supplied grid and in the grid with the black squares removed.


I will admit to FWTE (two errors) here. I had JoCKS at 29A: Ones doing heavy lifting before retirement? (JACKS). I absolutely adore this clue. "Retirement" here is such a silly way to say "replacing a tire on a car." Beautiful. Meanwhile, I also had a hard time with 24D: Doc to consult when confused (FAQ). Not an MD. A document. So nicely done.

Loved the word FOMENTED, and 16A: Scholar's mug collection? (YEARBOOK) is a fun QMC. I'll note that APGERMAN is a bit ad hoc (now anything can be AP? And, by the way, colleges don't even give the credit much any more), and WILLBE is fairly meaningless out of context. MARKKA is a rare choice for our pre-Euro currency collection of words. MEOR and IMAS are not great for partials.

But over all, it's a fine puzzle. As a debut, it's impressive!

- Colum

1 comment:

  1. I was vexed by the cross of the new-to-me apple variety SWEETS[OP] and BROOME county, of which I’ve also never heard, and ARMET? so harumph on that front. Also, I agree about the odd APGERMAN kollege kredit - even I didn’t get that! :) I had no question about the FAQ and enjoyed the retirement joke. Did not love MEETOOER, but very much enjoyed IAMN[O]TAR[O]BOT, AMOUNT FOR “Run (to)” and the way LAILAALI looked in the grid.

    ReplyDelete