Monday, October 9, 2023

Monday, October 9, 2023, Zachary David Levy

Who knew that Mark Zuckerberg changed the name of his company away from FaceBook in order to make Mr. Levy's crossword theme more feasible?

Today's theme is revealed at 61A: Many a new venture in Silicon Valley ... or a hint to 17-, 26-, 37- and 52-Across (TECHSTARTUP). Each of the theme answers begins with the name of a well-established tech company. I guessed we were going that direction with 17A: Vast South American watershed (AMAZONBASIN). I was thrown ever so slightly by METACARPAL, but then recalled the new name of FaceBook. Sadly (or perhaps not), Mr. Levy did not reference X.

UBERMENSCH is my favorite. You have to reparse it by dropping the umlaut...

I'll be here all week. Literally.

ISLE of Man

Outside of the theme, it's a pretty smooth puzzle (inside of the theme, it's very dark). I liked the meta nature of 12D (see what I did there?). I'll always appreciate a puzzle that references ELLA Fitzgerald. Hope and I celebrated our anniversary this past Friday, and Cece played our wedding song for us on the car ride down to NYC: "Our Love Is Here To Stay." Obvs with Ella singing.

In exciting news, Horace and Frances are coming to HANGOUT this afternoon and overnight on their travels to Minnesota. Looking forward to it!

- Colum

No comments:

Post a Comment