Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Wednesday, October 4 2023, Gary Larson

Today's puzzle features a healthy dose of AI, a topic that's all over the news (and rightly so) these days.  Mr. Larson has managed to come up with a quartet of phrases containing the letters A and I, which when juxtaposed yield brand new phrases!  To wit:

  • PACKINGLIST and PICKINGLAST
  • CHIPSTACK and CHAPSTICK
  • HATTRICKS and HITTRACKS
  • BALLSOFFIRE and BILLSOFFARE <-- my favourite!

This is brilliant to me!  The clues to each of these include definitions of both variants.  Of course, this puts a burden on the crossers of those mutable A's and I's - they have to make sense with either letter.  And so they do of course!  For example, the answer crossing the last I/A of PACKINGLIST is BASIL and BASAL.  You're helpfully given definitions of both variants in the clues to these crossers as well.  

I feel like if I had more time, I would happily spend it trying to come up with other phrases that fit this bill.  Really nicely done!

The rest of the fill was pretty straightforward.  I liked the Hitchhiker's Guide reference. (Was there really a PARTIV to the trilogy?) I remember reading it and loving it in university, then re-reading it again a few years ago - or trying to - and finding it really lame.  That's life, I guess. The seldom-seen OTIOSE ("Superfluous") makes a welcome appearance today!

I got nothing else.  Fun puzzle!

-philbo

1 comment:

  1. Very cool idea and well carried out for sure. Hitchhiker's Guide Part IV was "So Long & Thanks For All The Fish."

    ReplyDelete