The notable thing about today's puzzle is that Mr. Cardin has managed to incorporate six theme clues into the grid, including the revealer, which does double duty as a theme answer itself. Great construction, and I do love me some good recursion!!
It wasn't hard to see what was going on. As I worked my way down the grid, gentle even for a Monday, I encountered SIDEBYSIDE ("Next to each other, like many washers and dryers"), PLAYBYPLAY ("Detailed, real-time description of events") and then STEPBYSTEP, apparently both a 1990's sitcom title and a New Kids on the Block hit (I knew neither of these) - so it was clear what the pattern was. Sure enough, the revealer "Many an off-road vehicle..." is of course FOURBYFOUR, which describes the theme perfectly - two four-letter words side by side - and is also pleasingly self-referential. Big kudos from me!
Not much to report otherwise. I did not know that Anne Lamott recommends tackling big writing projects BIRDBYBIRD. Seems kind of weird but I'm sure there's some sort of case-in-point, or metaphor, underlying it. And "Foggy mental state" (HAZE) made me sad as that's the state of the air in our westernmost province right now. My brother's there, trying to cope and helping out however he can. Thoughts and prayers, for what they're worth...
Anyway. Fun, easy Monday puzzle with a great theme.
-philbo

No comments:
Post a Comment