Monday, August 31, 2026

Monday, August 31, 2026, Christopher Youngs

I wonder sometimes, as I solve another crossword puzzle, how much of an individual constructor's personality is encompassed within the clues. I know that the editors have a varying degree of input into the cluing, as they ensure that the level of difficulty is standardized to the day of the week the puzzle is published on. But does Mr. Youngs enjoy modern music so that ATONAL led to IGOR being clued by Stravinsky? Or is that simply association by closeness in this primate's brain?

After all, I was also tickled by coming across 28A: Role for Selena Gomez on "Only Murders in the Building" (MABEL) just after watching two episodes of the latest season last night. Considering the season in particular came out over a year ago, this is more of a coincidence than me and the constructor being on the same wavelength.

Andrea Bocelli singing to ELMO

Today's theme is cute: SPREADTHEWORD is taken to note that the first word of the other three theme answers are spreadable condiments. BUTTERFINGERS, JELLYFISH, and HONEYMOON are the phrases in question. I enjoy the odd candy bar of the same name as the first; we had run-ins with the second when we were at the Delaware Beaches this summer; and I very much enjoyed my third in Hawaii back in 1996. Which makes this year my 30th anniversary!

In any case, a smooth and enjoyable Monday puzzle.

- Colum

No comments:

Post a Comment