TAKE THE EDGE OFF
Fun theme today that was part definition, part rebus. Take the first one, 23A, "_ATSO_ and _EKYL_." You might know that the missing letters spell Watson and Jekyll, two doctors without the first and last letters of their names, or DOCTORSWITHOUTBORDERS, and that answer is, itself, an international organization. Classic crossword puzzle theme, that. And it continues with all the other theme answers. NEEDSNOINTRODUCTION (_RAVES), and HEADLESSHORSEMAN (_NIGHT) are probably my favorite two.
In fill today, I like the word VALISE (57D, "Travel bag). It's just a nice word, isn't it? I've got to start using it more. "Yes, I'd like to check my VALISE, please." "Oh, I handed my VALISE to the redcap. It's the one with ATONOF stickers on it from various travel destinations..."
Seems almost wrong to call GONGS "Suspended musical instruments," doesn't it? Musical instrument... I suppose every bell is a musical instrument, but to put one in the same category with, say, a piano, seems odd. But I suppose it's no odder than putting me and algae in the category of "things that are alive."
Where was I? I suppose we might as well just remove the S from BICEP once and for all. And I looked up "Granita." It's about a guy named "Umberto Umberto" who lusts after older women. An amusing parody idea.
Favorite clue today: "Chemistry test?" (SPEEDDATE). Heh.
- Horace

No comments:
Post a Comment